Friday, April 06, 2018

My Journey in Monash

Dear readers,

Please read on my testimony. Hope it can be an encouragement to all of you.

After completing Form 6 in 2011, I had the desire to pursue my degree. I applied to various universities and one of them was Monash University Malaysia. Entry into Monash University is very competitive and challenging due to the procedures that need to be followed as it is also one of the most prestigious universities in the world.

I had to sit for an English test called “International English Language Testing System (IELTS) to ensure that I meet the average requirement for entry into Monash University. As this was my first time sitting for this test, I was filled with nervousness and lacked confidence. At times, I would burst into tears as I prepared or studied for the exam. However, I was determined to study harder in order to achieve the required band scores. I worked very diligently for this particular test. Taking the IELTS had been unfortunately, a harrowing experience for me due to repeated technical errors by Cambridge where my test was postponed for a month when the requested Braille exam question papers did not arrive and later, a mismatch in the question and answer sheet for the listening test which required me to once again, have the exam postponed.

I was supposed to undergo a degree program in Arts and Social Sciences for the February, 2013 intake. However, my application was being rejected because the one of the components in my IELTS results did not meet the Monash requirement for the entry into the course (requirement of at least 6 for each component). I had scored 5.5 for the reading component. However, my average band score was 6.5 and the average band score had met the Monash requirement. Therefore, I was advised by the Prospective Student Office to undergo the English Language Bridging Program (ELBP) in March 2013. The program lasted for 15 weeks and I had learned more about academic skills such as referencing style and essay writing. I managed to pass ELBP and managed to pursue my degree in Bachelor of Arts (Social Sciences) majoring in communications and minoring in psychology In July 2013.

I was awarded a scholarship from Shell for the degree program. I was the only visually impaired (blind) student in the whole of Monash University Malaysia. As a visually impaired student, I had to put in more effort and time in studies than the sighted. I normally had to record the lectures and tutorial sessions in order for me to re-listen when I got back to the residence. Also, since I relied on a screen reader called Job Access with Speech (JAWS), I had to listen attentively to what the software was reading. Therefore, speed reading, or scheming and scanning texts would not be possible. Going through the first semester had been a harrowing experience for me for about 7 weeks out of the 12 weeks of the semester due to some technical issues. I had difficulty reading pdf version of the lecture notes using the JAWS software as the pdf documents contained images and it took a long time for the Student Welfare to convert them into readable formats. I also had difficulties accessing the Monash library databases and finding journal articles for my assignments due to the interface of the webpage unsuitable for screen reader users.
Furthermore, when communicating with the lecturers, they were slow to respond. As for the introductory psychology unit, I was required to read two textbooks. I went through hard time getting the softcopy accessible textbooks after liaising with Australia and only managed to get them on weeks 7 and 8. Also, most of the assignments were very tough and I was not given extensions for certain assignments. Therefore, I would feel very stressful and burst into tears at times and found my first semester experiences frustrating.

Despite all those challenges, I remained patient and persevere in realizing my dream a successful one, unhampered by the physical constraint of blindness. I stayed in the Sunway Monash Residence when I did my degree in Monash University. Every semester, I needed support to bring me to classes and places I desired to go, as well as help with other practical needs. I struggled to search for help for the first few semesters. I had been looking from all sources to get help such as the Monash Confession group as well as the Sunway Monash Residence group on Facebook, as the university was not able and not ready to provide help for me in terms of practical needs. As I’m completely blind, I need a lot of support and assistance as there are things that I am unable to do by myself.

As the semester went by, things became easier at times and I was blessed with many supportive friends, especially during my final year. However, due to the heavy workload and difficulty to adapt to university life at the initial stage, I often felt homesick. I often fell sick physically during my university days. At one point, I fell sick almost every month. However, I thanked God for healing me and giving me strength to go through challenges and able to persevere during trials.

In semester 1 2015 which was from March-June, I took an intermission (break) as semester 2 2014 was challenging due to inability to cope with visual study of one of the communications units and a psychology unit. For the particular communications unit, I was required to watch a movie each week and write analysis or assignments. As for the particular psychology unit, the SPSS software used to research on statistics was not suitable for my JAWS software as the software was in image form. I cried really badly almost every week during that semester which led me to decide to take an intermission in semester 1 2015.
I made this decision so that I could recover emotionally as well as mentally. During the break, I worked part-time at Sarawak Society for the Blind, Kuching, teaching basic ICT, Braille and basic English lesson. I also tried another course at Open University, Kuching as I would like to try out online distance learning course.

However, I decided to continue my second year second sem in July 2015 at Monash. During my final year of studies, I often took time to do my revision and assignments in the library. I am really thankful to my friends who took turn to bring me to the library at 8am and walked me back to my residence in the evenings every weekday. I am also thankful to God for a very supportive lecturer, Dr Nicholas Chan. Dr Nicholas obtained his PHD from Oxford University and has been teaching me International Relations since mid of 2016. He is a unique lecturer and the only lecturer who had been very supportive of my needs (including personal needs). He used to walk me back to my residence, Sunway Monash Residence, to or fro classes or the library at least once or twice a week, if not trice a week at times. He would go the extra miles to help me, apart from studies. He would give me a listening ear even when I faced personal challenges. I am really thankful to Dr Nicholas for being so patiently taking care of me for three semesters, for his kindness and understanding as well as being very sensitive to my needs. I’m also thankful to him for constantly amending his lecture slides which contain images to words for me, and typing out assessment comments in MS Word so that my computer software is able to read to me.

All these, my other lecturers had never provided for me and I always had to rely on friends to read to me. I was really blessed to have such a kind and caring lecturer. I have never met such lecturer previously. I had the opportunity to study one of the Business Units as an elective during my final semester and an Australian exchange student was assigned to explain and type out images to Ms Word in the library to ease my studies.

I am also thankful to my other friends for accompanying me for walks to relief myself after hours of studying and thankful to them for bringing me out for meals. I also had numerous unpleasant experiences such as I was mistreated by one of the university counselors, the librarian staff and some students, as well as serious laptop issue which required me to send the laptop for repair a few times.

However, all these challenges had actually taught me to be stronger, wiser and more determined to face the long road ahead of me. Monash has given me good and bad memories and I really appreciate whatever experiences I faced throughout my journey. Truly, the journey of four and half years was not easy for me, but with God’s guidance and my perseverance, all my efforts and hard work have been worthwhile. Even with my disability, I had been determined to achieve my goal of finally being able to graduate from one of the most well-established universities. Praise the Lord for my determination to study though I had to go through much difficulties and challenges.

Finally, I would like to leave you all with this quote by Albert Einstein “I have tried and have failed 99 times, but on the 100th times came success."

I would like to continue to be an inspiration and encourager to others! I want to keep up the positive mindset instead of allowing negativity to take control of me! Thank you everyone for reading this.

No comments:

Post a Comment